Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Race for the Taste 10k

Yes, I did the Race for the Taste 10k! Want to be impressed? I did 17.2 miles in 2 days. Yes, I'm proud!

Let me back track ... Saturday Jenny and I did 11 miles with our Galloway training group, then she went to work and hubby and I went to April & Geoff's Celebration lunch. We had a great time, but had to leave early (before cake! Pout.), because Jenny and I needed to leave here by 3 and I wasn't even packed yet.

Santiago went to pick Alex up from my parents (he stayed the night with them) so that I could see him before I left. Alex was still running a fever, so I hated to leave him, but knew he would be fine with daddy.

Jenny and I headed for Orlando ... we were both exhausted, but really enjoyed the drive, chit chatting and catching up. With our busy lives, although we see each other 2-3 times a week to run, we don't get one on one time very much. We ate dinner at Carrabba's and headed for the hotel (love that place) ... once there, we both crashed in bed ... and decided that we would, at the very least, go to the race and walk it, if we got picked up (the have a 15 min pace limit), oh well ... at least we tried. That's what our game plan was when we went to bed at 7:30 pm.

We got up early and headed to the race ... once we got there, the loud, fast music woke us up, if the bright lights didn't. We quickly got in our groove ... we were excited about the race! As we were waiting for the start, we decided we would do our best ... my goal was not to be picked up. My training pace is around a 17 min mile ... 2 mins slower per mile than what the race requires, so I was pretty concerned about being picked up. Plus I'd already been picked up at one of Disney's races (not good!!).

Anyways ... we took off ... I could see Jenny until about mile 3, then I lost her. I ended up doing the 6.2 miles in 1:37:02, which is a 15:39 pace. WOW. I was very sore, but very proud. I cried. I was so overwhelmed. Jenny finished in 1:30:31, a 14:36 pace. She was there for me at the finish line, like she always is (what a great friend!). I'm tearing up just trying to type this. I'm not someone that has ever wanted to do a full marathon (26.2 miles) ... I'm happy with the half (13.1 miles) ... so I really never gave it much thought that I'd do more than 13.1 miles. And yes, it was over 2 days, but darnit, I did 17.2 miles, that's a lot for me. :)

Needless to say, we had a great time ... visited Downtown Disney afterwards and ate at Wolfgang Puck Express. I go there every time we're in the area for their mac & cheese. They've remodeled, which was nice .. but they changed the mac & cheese, it was still good, but not "OMG good" like it was before. (Picture is of Jenny showing off her medal while we were waiting on our lunch)


When I got home ... Alex had a fever of 103. :( It got up to 103.4, his cheeks were red and he was hot ... Santiago said he was cranky all night, didn't sleep well and had a fever since I left. I took him to Dr. Punger on Monday. Ya know, I'm not her typical patient, but I try! I'm not nursing (I did try), I don't make my own baby food, I don't co-sleep (we tried), I don't use cloth diapers, I don't EC ... I'm sure the list goes on. But I trust and like her, and she's tolerant of my, umm, not following her way to the "T". :) I do feed Alex organic baby food, and have tried to make better decisions for him ... and she and her intern help me along the way ... grin, I bought carrots for Alex to teethe on, and regular cheerios instead of the gerber puffs. And he eats Yo Baby Yogurt ... even though it's breaking out bank account! I tell ya, Alex eats way better than we do. But that's a whole 'nother post!
I'm thinking that the high fevers is just his way of teething. There is nothing else wrong with him. He's much happier today (Tuesday) .. and he has another tooth on the bottom ... so that's 4 on top and 3 on bottom now! :) And his fever is gone. But I had to make sure there was nothing else wrong, just in case.
(I took these pictures on Monday when we were home together ... it is so hard to get pictures of Alex these days, they turn out blurry cause he's always moving. Well, that and I can't find my "real" camera, so these were taken with my camera phone.)


Oh ... did I say that I brought my medal to Dr. P's office, daycare, work and my mom's school? :) Everyone gets to see it, even strangers! Yes ... I'm happy. :)

7 comments:

  1. Good for you! I'm so proud of you!

    So, where's the pictures of YOUR medal???

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be so proud of yourself for running all those miles! I'm glad you brough tyour medal in so I can see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo-hoo! Go Girl!!! I don't think I've even walked 17 miles in 6 months, much less 2 days! Trish is right, you are an inspiration!!!

    I'm sorry that I won't get to see Alex again until the November meeting. :( He's such a smiley little guy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that Alex is feeling better!

    Congrats on that run! Keep showing off that shiney medal you earned it!!!!

    Hurray for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're AMAZING!! I walk 2.5 miles each night (that it's not raining) w/hubby...can't imagine doing what you're doing. It inspires me to want to do more, push harder. I miss seeing Alex and his forever smile. I'm sure Crystal gets my share of XOXO from him. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, even making it there is something you should get an award for.

    My husband did a 3-day-5-mile walk for me for my MS Organization. He nearly passed out from heat stroke, but all in all, he loved it. He felt like he had accomplished something...and he did.

    As for you not doing what Dr. Punger suggests. Don't sweat it. Try those things in baby steps. If all of those ideas appeal to you then try one, keep it or lose it then try another. Do not overwhelm yourself with so many things that you hate them all.

    We did all of those things, some of them we kept and others did not work for us. I was unable to breastfeed, but that was waaaay before I knew Dr. Punger.

    You should be proud of what you did and your accomplishments as a mother. Give yourself a pat on the pack...we all deserve it every now and then.

    ReplyDelete