Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Cooties, Cooties

go away!

Yes, that means Alex is sick. :( Monday afternoon he started coughing and had a fever. Santiago stayed home with him yesterday. I thought things were going good, until he called around 3:45 telling me his fever was up to 103.3. I freeked. I emailed Alex's (and my) doctor, Dr. Punger, and she said we could come in. I left work and met Santiago at the doctors office. When I got there, Alex was just in a diaper, buring up and just not happy. Danielle was also there with her daughter, Natalie, we got to chit chat a bit, that was a nice bonus.

Alex got a shot of antibiotics and some drops in his ear for an ear infection. By the time we were leaving, my parents were in the waiting room concerned about Alex. We all headed home ... Alex fell asleep on the way home and slept some when we got home, but only if he was being held.

It was not a good night. His fever kept spiking ... it got up to 103.6. We were alternating tylenol and motrin every 4 hours. Sometimes being a first time mommy is for the birds. I hate not knowing what to do. I get online, look for ideas ... try them ... and I want them to work immediately, and I know that's not how it works. But it was just killing me to see and hear Alex so unhappy. He's generally a happy baby, and all he would do was whine and cry, even while being held. I sent so many emails to my dr, I'm sure she thinks I'm nuts. :)

We finally got him calmed down enough and decided to put him in bed with us. I asked Santiago if he was comfy, he said his comfort wasn't important, Alex's was (can you say "awwww"). Last night wasn't fun, but his fever broke around 3-4am ... we were thrilled!!!

Santago went to work, I'm home with Alex ... at 7am he had a slight fever, 100.4. He only drank half of his morning bottle, so I'll be watching him. He's much happier right now than he has been, so I'll take it. He's trying so hard to crawl like a big boy on all fours ... and he's banging stuff around, so that's all good.


Update 11 am - Temp is 98.8 ... quietly saying "yay!" ... he's cranky though, so we'll see ... hopefully the fever stays away. He's still coughing and crying when he coughs. On the bonus side ... I'm rocking him to sleep, which I enjoy ... and playing on the floor with him.

1 comment:

  1. Poor little thing. I'm glad he's feeling a bit better. I hope he has a good day - and I hope you enjoy the day home with your little man!

    ReplyDelete