Friday, August 22, 2008

Storm aftermath

Tropical Storm Fay hit this area on Tuesday as you can see from my earlier posts.

When I was getting ready to head to the office on Wednesday, I made our bed. Santiago puts his "decorative" pillow on the floor while he sleeps .. I picked it up and it was soaked! But we didn't know of any leaks, we didn't see any water coming in at all. We soaked up the water with towels, he pulled up the carpet and pad and put fans on it. I went to work, he stayed home with Alex half a day then brought him to my parents house for a few hours. That night we slept with the fans on and our bed pulled out and left it that way the next day (Thursday). We both went to work on Thursday and took Alex to daycare, a regular day.

I walk in the door Thursday night and I smell something is off, way off. By this time, Santiago has put our room back together, everything is dry. Santiago has a cold, so he really didn't smell anything too bad. I did. I went to Alex's room and knew the smell was in there ... got on my hands and knees and felt around the carpet and smelled it ... all over his room I did that. I get to our computer desk and it's stronger ... but I can't find where it's coming from. Santiago gets down on the floor ... and finds it.


Under our chairmat is a huge wet spot ... which is now mildewed and stinking BAD. It's around 9 pm by now and Alex is usually asleep, but there was no way I was putting him in this stinky room. Santiago cut out the affected carpet and pad area. I went to my parents house to pickup Alex's playpen, came home Alex was already asleep in our bed ... transferred him to the playpen in our room and we went to sleep.
We woke up to a stinky house. Our place is a small 2/2 condo, maybe 900 sq feet, so it's not like we have lots of place to move stuff around. We both called in to work, my parents took Alex to daycare then helped us move everything out of his room and rip up the carpet.
Apparently it got wet from a hole in the frame of the window, we can't see anything else. The corner of the carpet was still wet, the baseboards are damp, but drying out. It just killed me to have to rip it all out. The carpet was pretty new, berber carpet with blue and green in it ... we installed it and painted it blue before I got pregnant, it worked out great for Alex's room.
We worked all day, got the room emptied, carpet/pad gone, swept, lowered Alex's crib (necessary since he's standing up in it now) .... put everything back and "cleaned" the floor. Ugh. Not the best day.
We're going to keep Alex in our room for the next few days to see how his room airs out. It's still somewhat stinky in here, but not nearly as bad as it was. I don't want him in here if there's still issues though.
The storm just screwed with our week ... My office was closed Tuesday, Santiago didn't work Tuesday or Wednesday ... plus I have a 6 mile run tomorrow and I wasn't able to get any of my two runs in this week, so I'm probably going to struggle. Whine.
On the bright side, Alex is happy at the moment. :)
Ok .. gotta get to bed .... wish me luck on my run ... hoping I make it to the La Leche League meeting tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that stinks! I sure hope that you're able to get everything back together again soon. And to think that the carpet was pretty new, too. Argh!

    Good luck on your run tomorrow. See you after at LLL!

    ReplyDelete