Sunday, August 3, 2008

Magic Mile

Yesterday was our group running day ... part of getting everyone into the correct pace group is doing a "Magic Mile" or "MM". We go our with our usual group and then do a one mile run as fast as you can. It's a timed event, everyone starts at the same time and runs one mile. There are people at the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 mile marks to call out your time so you can gauge how you are doing.


I started off doing great ... as most runners do ... especially because everyone else around you is speeding by, well, that's my life anyways! I know I'm a slow runner, this is nothing new to me. You'd think by now, I would accept it and move on. And I'm trying to. But it's not working this time as well as it did last time I was training. When I was training in 06, I was running 3 times a week and going to my trainer twice a week ... yes, this makes a difference. It does! When I was training in 07, I was a few months pregnant, so noone really expected me to be fast, and I wasn't. But now, here I am ... post-baby, still carrying my pregnancy weight .. and trying to run.


My Magic Mile time was 14:54. I was the last person to finish. The LAST.

I'm down, feeling disappointed in myself ... and I remember I did a spreadsheet in 2006 charting my runs ... I wonder if I can find it? I start looking through my computer, there's lots of files ... and I find it ... "walksNruns" ... I want to know, but I'm scared to be disappointed in myself more than I already am.

Ya know what it says?!?! :)


My very first 5k (3.1 miles) ever, on January 7, 2006 in Disney ... I finished in 60:00. ONE HOUR! That's 19:35 per mile. I scan down, how good did I get on my chart ... my fastest time I have listed (Sadly, I only kept track for a few months) is the Disney 5k Women Go Red event in May 2006, where I did 15:36 per mile.


I need to shut up and feel good at my starting point. And I will.


Since I'm going down memory lane about my running ... here's some of my race pictures I was able to find ...




Our first 5k .. Disney, Jan 2006. It was COLD. L-R: Me, Mom, Jenny, Belle




May 2006 - Disney 5k Women's Go Red. Me, Mom and Jenny



Memorial Day, May 2006 - Run for the Pineapple 5k. Me, Mom, Logan and Robby. Logan won an award for his age division!


December 2006 - Palm Beach Half Marathon. Before the race, Jenny, me, Gina, and Bucky. Me finishing my first ever half marathon, 13.1 miles!!! What a great feeling!


January 2007 - Disney Half Marathon. Robby & I at mile 4. Jenny & mom at mile 8 . Jenny & I after the race, aren't we cute, we match.





December 2007 - Palm Beach Half Marathon. I promised Jenny I would be there, no matter what, and I was, although I didn't do the race. Bucky and I cheered Jenny on along with her hubby Randy. Alex was born exactly 2 weeks later. :)



Wow ... that made me feel really good ... looking at all of those happy pictures. I've had lots of fun doing the local 5k races. Even if I am almost always in the last 10 to finish. My best friend, Jenny, has done almost all of them with me, I think she was sick for the Pineapple one, otherwise, we're together at the start. Bucky did Palm Beach with me and will again this year. My brother ran the Disney Half Marathon with me, but doesn't have the time to train for another one right now. My mom has come to cheer us on a few times ... she loves it and she gets so many thanks from random runners after the event, it makes her day. I'm sure she helped make theirs too.

Having family and friends supporting and encouraging me really means the world! Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. These are great pictures! You make running look like fun. What an amazing feeling to have finished a 1/2 marathon! Once Alex starts walking, you'll be able to get some extra training in just by chasing him around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have always been an inspiration to me and you know that! You do great and too many times we often like to beat ourself up on what we think we should be doing but the simple truth is.. you are out there doing what so many people smaller and bigger then us all just dont have the courage to do. I am so proud of you and I really wish I could have done the MM too! :( I was thinking.. that perhaps I can start running next week. No idea what doc will say but I will try. By the way.. where are the pics from our run!! I never got those you slacker! :P Love you!

    -April

    ReplyDelete